Monday, June 04, 2007

Being a man.

I think it was Bill Cosby who said that God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to operate one at a time.
Being a man demands an understanding of this simple truth, the wisdom to know which organ is in control at any given moment, and the search for the place where one can control your own bloodflow.
I have been looking for a men's magazine for quite some time - mainly to relax a bit while enjoying being a man. Unfortunately, modern men's mag's do not have a balanced approach to manhood, focussing much more on the nether-regions than on broader issues. And so, it is easy to pick up a Men's Health, a GQ or FHM and see that the articles are predictable, monotonous and just plain same-old... "Loose weight, gain muscle fast... 207 things she wished you'd know... Erectile dysfunction, the secret cure...". As I celebrated life today, I came across a Men's Mag with a difference. It is called Manwees (Afrikaans for "Being a man"). I was astonished to see that it dedicated only about 5 of the 150 pages to erotic pleasure. The rest was made up of book and movie reviews, wine-tasting, ideas for quality-time activities with the kids...wife...yourself, bikes and a whole lot more. It is only available in Afrikaans, but is a must-read.
My wife just walked in, saw the mag on my desk and asked "Is this a South African magazine?" She read the title in English. I first had to laugh, not because of her mistake, but to the obvious connection between men and their things, for she did not think the title to be that out of character at all. Then I said a prayer, praying for the wisdom I spoke about earlier.

No comments: