Sunday, January 11, 2009

A great Mac fix

I recently installed ClamXAV (an freeware anti-virus programme for Mac) and did a check. Surprise, surprise, I had a Trojan hiding on my iMac, named java.classloader. I then went to the directory and deleted the infected file. Sorry to all Windows users whom I may have infected.

I then did a drive-check, which, by the way sorts your Mac out if it is behaving funny, like ignoring drives, or if you're on blogger find the photo toolbar missing..

Here's how to do it:

Restart your Mac, press and hold Command and s

It will give you a whole lot of stats. When it is done, type in fsck -fy and enter.

It will take a few minutes to sort out your drive and fix all problems.

Once it says that you Mac is fixed, restart and "there you go!"

2 comments:

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

Yup, that'll sort out a few permissions discrepancies. Just be VERY careful that you don't do anything else while you're in single user mode... You can do some serious damage in the command line.

I've used this method a few times. But, do it with care.

As for the trojan on the Mac. It is a sad reality that we're entering that world! As Mac marketshare grows we become more and more of a target for virus writers.

Stay safe!

Blessings,

Dion

Steven Jones said...

So it was YOU )@#FWSXASIVV.....No carrier (Windows "blue screen of death" appears...)