Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Francois Fenelon


For the past weeks I have included a quote from Francois Fenelon as a signature on all my e-mails. It reads as follows: "Be persuaded, timid soul, that He has loved you too much ever to
cease loving you.". Thanks to a member of the Barthian milieu group (Yahoo) for drawing my attention to this quote.

So, I decided to wiki old Francois. The following story fascinates me:

"When he was Almoner to Louis XIV his majesty was astonished one Sunday to find, instead of the usual crowded congregation, only himself and his attendants, the priest, and the other officers of the chapel. "What is the meaning of this?" asked the king; the prelate answered: "I caused it to be given out, that your majesty did not attend chapel to-day, in order that you might see, who came here to worship God, and who to flatter the King.""

My prayer this week is for all Christians, myself included, that our worship and service may be sincere and pleasing to God.

No comments: