Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Finding places

We start by looking at two of the three most beautiful people. Mainly, because I don't know how to move the photo so that I can write above it.

I any case...

I love going to Spier whenever in Cape Town. It is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places that I have ever visited. There are so many places in the Cape to visit, that if one compares it to Gauteng, it is no wonder that up here we are so busy and stressed while folk from the Cape seem a lot more relaxed.

That was until Sunday. We were invited to go to the Irene farm to have some lunch. To my surprise I found that this place had the same atmosphere as Spier. Open space, people eating, kids playing... bliss.

We have probably driven past Irene farm a million times, never bothering to go inside and take a look. Obviously some great meditation-material here. It made me think about the tendency in rushed living to miss the places of serenity and peace. In our rush, it is easy to slip past the "entrances" to being peaceful, content, the place where one can just "be". Perhaps our names should be changed from "human beings" to "human doings" as an author suggests.

This year, my aim is to be happy with where I am and what I've got. My life is fulfilled only if I accept it as such. To live this way, I believe, makes it easier to go into the places of sanctuary and to be at peace.

Here are some more photos of our time at Irene Farm.


1 comment:

digitaldion (Dion Forster) said...

Ah yes, I have done a few weddings at both Spier (when I was a minister in Stellenbosch), and more recently at Irene (actually the country club across the road from the farm) since being here in Pretoria. It is a lovely place!

So, when do you hand in your COMPLETED doctoral dissertation?