Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Broken relationships


A friend just broke up with his girlfriend.

"So what?" you may ask. "Get over it and move on with your life" you may be tempted to say. But wait a minute. Do you remember those feelings of loss? Remember crying for days on end and thinking that there is no-one else in the world that can take that person's place?

When I saw him I remembered what I felt like after whats-her-name broke up with me because I was too shy to kiss her, and that-one-that-taught-me-how-to-kiss for I don't know what reason (perhaps because I was a poor student), and that one-that... lets not even talk about that...

I have never had the opportunity to break-up with anyone. I was always on the receiving end. I don't think it matters on which side of the brokenness you find yourself. Broken relationships are painful. It is that kind of hurt that doen't go away, but seems to transform into different kinds of hurt that sting in less-direct ways. There is no quick-fix, not even a fix. But I suppose it is necessary.

So to my friend: "Take your time in licking your wounds. We remember and won't laugh at you or suggest that "this too will pass". I pray that you (and she) will find healing soon."

No comments: