Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What a privilege!

Teaching is my passion! Once a semester UNISA offers group discussions whereby students from all-over come to Pretoria and engage with us, their lecturers.

This morning it was my turn to present a class and I felt such a thrill, stepping into the auditorium with the students eagerly waiting. They introduced themselves and told us where they come from. Some were from Pretoria. Others came all the way from Soweto (about 70km away) by public transport. One person came all the way from Louis Trichardt (about 4.5 hours drive) also by public transport. And I am humbled.

I am always humbled by their commitment and effort to attend these classes. And so I make sure that I am well prepared. I make sure I listen carefully. I remind myself that this is their time at that this moment is about them, and not about me.

Thank you to all our students for making today such a humbling and worthwhile occasion. I hope you feel the same.

No comments: