Thursday, January 20, 2011

Words to remember

Read the following and guess where it comes from...

Seek perfection of character
Be faithful
Endeavour
Respect others
Refrain from violent behaviour


What do you think? Does this sound like something from the Bible, the Qur'an or other religious text?
Yes and no. All of these are written in sacred texts, but they are actually written on the wall of most karate dojo's. My son is going to his first lesson today. Some may cringe at the idea. Tough. I did karate for most of my childhood and so did my mother and my brother. We did not pray to foreign gods, in fact, my teacher was a devout Christian.

These words have stuck with me and helped me in my growth as a Christian. I hope that they will make an impact on Matthew's life before he learns to make a spinning-heel-kick.




No comments: